Vaccination is one of the most effective ways to protect our families, communities and ourselves against COVID-19. Evidence indicates that vaccines are effective at preventing serious outcomes, such as severe illness, hospitalization and death due to COVID-19.
- The vaccines are designed to protect you and health Canada has approved the use of
- Pfizer- BioNTech
- Janssen (Johnson & Johnson)
- Most COVID-19 vaccines require 2 doses to be fully vaccinated. While current evidence shows good effectiveness after 1 dose, a second dose is essential for longer-lasting and optimal protection
- You are only considered vaccinated after 14 days from the last dose
Who is eligible
COVID-19 vaccines approved for use in Canada are free. They’re available to priority populations first. They’ll then be available to everyone who is recommended to get the vaccine by federal, provincial and territorial public health authorities.
This applies to:
everyone in Canada, including those who aren’t citizens and who are over the:
- age of 12 for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine
- age of 18 for the Moderna vaccine
- age of 18 for the AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD vaccine
- age of 18 for the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine
Vaccination is one of the most effective ways to protect our families, communities and ourselves against COVID-19.
Why get vaccinated for COVID-19?
Vaccines work – Scientific and medical evidence show that vaccination can help protect you against COVID-19. Studies are also showing that vaccinated people may have less severe illness if they do become ill from COVID-19.
Vaccines are safe – Only vaccines that are proven to be safe, effective and of high quality are authorized for use in Canada. The COVID-19 vaccines have been rigorously tested during their development and then carefully reviewed by Health Canada.
The vaccines cannot give you COVID-19 because they don’t contain the virus that causes it. The vaccines also cannot change your DNA. mRNA vaccines provide instructions to your cells for how to make a coronavirus protein. This protein will trigger an immune response that will help to protect you against COVID-19.
Viral vector vaccines use a virus that’s been made harmless to produce coronavirus proteins in your body without causing disease. Similar to mRNA vaccines, this protein will trigger an immune response that will help to protect you against COVID-19.
- For the latest and most up-to-date information on #COVID19, visit the Government of Canada’s webpage or call the coronavirus information line: 1-833-784-4397.
Written by Tayo Elnathan